If I told you that you’re a maker, you might respond by saying, “A maker? I don’t even know what that is!” However, Atmel Corporation reports that there are 135 million adult makers in the US alone!
That’s over half (57%) of the adult population in America.
A maker is simply somebody who designs, manufactures, transforms, or customizes objects.
An increasing number of people are becoming makers and choosing to empower themselves through the concept of “do-it-yourself” (DIY) projects. The principle: build, create, recycle, or customize everyday products or objects yourself, everything from furniture, beauty products, and decorations to art, jewelry, and clothes.
People are not only making DIY crafts—they’re selling them too. The DIY market is booming across the globe. According to ecommerceDB, in the US, the DIY market generated a revenue of $74 billion in 2019. This was a 20% share of the entire U.S. ecommerce market.
For a number of reasons (pleasure, pride, money, the environment), more and more people are getting creative and making and selling DIY crafts online. In addition, consumers are often choosing to shop for and spend their money on handmade products rather than mass-produced products.
DIY and ecommerce
Ecommerce is not only limited to products from established brands or ready-made items. The internet has made the practice and value of homemade products more accessible, popular, and widespread.
Whether you’re already an enthusiast or just beginning, DIY crafts are a great starting point for creating or developing your ecommerce store. In fact, these days, there are all kinds of DIY craft ideas to sell online.
No need to be a professional handyperson or an ecommerce specialist to get started with making crafts to sell online. We’ve put together a list of 10 simple and accessible ideas for DIY projects, in terms of both skills and cost, to help you to begin!
These ideas include tips for everything from conception and creation to sales techniques to help you start your own business selling homemade products, DIY crafts, and other related goods.
A classic: candles
Who doesn’t have at least one candle at home? Candles come in many shapes and sizes and are available for any kind of budget. What’s more, they make an ideal gift for a multitude of occasions.
These decorative objects seduce their audience by their scent and the atmosphere that they create. People often associate scents with positive memories and ideas or a certain time in their lives.
For this reason, making handmade candles can be a good option for your online homemade craft shop. In addition, they’re perfect for those who want to start an ecommerce business with DIY items, as they’re relatively easy to make!
There are loads of different candles on the market: luxury, scented, natural, birthday, and more. The market tends to lean more toward higher-end candles and, above all, clean-burning options for the air inside your home.
A large number of tutorials that can teach you how to make whatever kind of candles you’d like are available online. Whether you’re a beginner or have recently already delved into the world of candle making, you’ll find what you’re looking for.
Here are a few bits of advice before you start:
- Define your product and target audience. Do you want to make 100% natural candles? Be a birthday-candle specialist? Are scented candles your thing? Find your niche and make it pertinent.
- Use quality ingredients. Whatever your niche may be, one thing that remains in common is the quality of the ingredients. Consumers are prepared to pay more money if they are getting an equivalent quality. In this day and age, people are also more likely to make more responsible choices when they shop, choosing natural products.
- Carefully select your containers and packaging. This is the first thing your clients will see, and it helps to craft the image of your brand. Most candles contain the same basic ingredients and are not wholly differentiable, so it’s the packaging that can make your product stand out. It needs to be attractive and correspond with your brand identity.
- Prioritize security. The risk of fire is obviously there with candles. Don’t skimp on security and use safe ingredients. Check to ensure that you’re incorporating the best options possible. Protect your company and get specialized insurance for this kind of production.
Decorate your home: cushions
All you need to do is open an interior decorating magazine to see that cushions are back in fashion in full force. They add that certain je ne sais quoi to living spaces, and they’re available in all different varieties.
Furthermore, making cushions is actually rather easy.
Shapes, colors, materials, and sizes…so many ideas to choose from! With a range of options available and your DIY skills, you can craft cushions to fit your one-of-a-kind style. Bring a bit of extra joy to your home’s interior and that of your future customers with your creations!
Make cushions that match your level of sewing skills. Don’t get downhearted if your first try isn’t perfect. You’ll see that with a bit of time and practice, you can soon start letting your imagination run wild with DIY cushion ideas.
What you’ll need:
- A needle, or for those well-equipped, a sewing machine
- A ruler
- An iron
- Cushion fabric
- Thread that matches your fabric
- Filling: foam, synthetic fiber, or even better, an old cushion to recycle. For the best results, cushion foam is the best, and it isn’t any more expensive than other materials.
Now for the actual process of making this product, there are lots of different types of cushions that are easy to craft. Check out this link to a tutorial to help you get started and make the cushions of your dreams!
Sewing not really your thing? But you’ve still got dreams of selling customized t-shirts, cushions, tote bags, or other items? Go for printed merchandise!
It’s a very accessible, easy, and hands-off option that will give you the opportunity to make and sell your products quickly.
There are a few things to consider beforehand:
Your choice of material
Whether it be a t-shirt or another object, don’t skimp on the quality. It’ll determine whether your customer is content with your product and whether they’ll recommend your brand to others.
A number of sites online offer basic products that are designed to be customized. Order a few things and test them to decide which you’d like to use going forward.
To design or not to design?
Your designs need to appeal to your audience.
Look at what’s being done, the different trends, and what already works, but definitely don’t copy! Nobody wants a t-shirt they’ve seen on 10 other sites.
Now that you know what works, know your target audience, and have your ideas, you need to take action.
If you’re a designer, you can get started right away! If you’re not, no problem. You have multiple options. Employ a pro designer or a freelancer to help you craft the perfect design. You can alternatively buy ready-made designs online (ensure that they’re unique).
After you’ve got your materials and your design, it’s time for printing.
There are several possible techniques available, such as digital printing or screen printing, and they all have advantages and disadvantages. Consider which would be best for you in terms of budget, quantity, and final result.
One last thing: make sure to test your DIY printed products before you start selling them to people online!
Selling jewelry online is one of the most saturated markets when it comes to crafts, but it’s also one of the most popular handmade products to purchase online. Millions of people create, sell, and buy jewelry online, and it can be a fulfilling, lucrative, and lasting business.
There are numerous advantages:
- Pearls, precious stones, trinkets, necklaces, rings, for adults or kids…there are so many different options available. You’ll be spoiled for choice when coming up with ideas for what to sell for your DIY business!
- You can make your DIY jewelry creations unique and beautiful, and you could even offer custom designs for your clients. Your jewelry can truly become wearable works of art!
- There will be no shortage of suppliers to help you craft gorgeous pieces to sell.
- Jewelry is, in general, small and therefore easy to ship when you sell an item online. This is a definite benefit to consider!
While there are many advantages, you still have to know how to position yourself and find your target in this saturated market.
This is why it is essential to carry out an in-depth study that will allow you to identify the niches and to differentiate yourself from your competitors.
Staying on the lookout for trends and following what is being done is therefore a reflex that you’ll want to adopt before launching your activity. You’ll also want to extend this action throughout to always adapt to the market and meet the expectations of your customers.
It is important to be a cut above your competition and be unique with whatever you’re selling!
It may sound silly, but check to ensure that you’re actually able to craft the designs you have in mind for your DIY business. If you want things to sell and your business to succeed, your jewelry must be not only beautiful but also high quality.
Once you’ve figured all of this out for your DIY jewelry venture, you can get started!
Step 1: Choose your supplier
As discussed above, you’ll have all kinds of options when it comes to choosing a supplier.
Compare the advantages, the different options, and restrictions of each supplier. Read their reviews and consider ordering a few things to see for yourself.
The quality of the products and the service will determine your selection. Be wary of counterfeits that can exist in the jewelry industry.
Step 2: Create
Create sufficient stock and supply to fulfill the first orders that you receive. Consider planning different sizes of jewelry for your clients.
There’s nothing more frustrating when you fall in love with a ring but the store doesn’t have your size!
Step 3: Make your products shine
How you display and photograph your jewelry is of crucial importance for the success of your craft business.
This is not something to be taken lightly. You don’t want to risk people viewing your store as unprofessional or cheap.
The images for your DIY crafts should reflect the quality of your work.
Step 4: Selling
Last but certainly not least, there’s the creation of your online store and the promotion of your brand. This is how you’ll be able to connect with your customers and generate sales.
To launch effectively and efficiently, there’s nothing better than WiziShop’s ecommerce solution.
Our platform offers a ready-to-use tool with more than 400 tools to help you sell your creations. What’s more, WiziShop also has a team of Business Coaches at your disposal, who are ecommerce experts, as well as a complete online ecommerce training course!
Zero-waste DIY products
“Zero waste” is a fundamental trend, a huge phenomenon that is growing year over year and gathering more and more followers.
Why not put zero waste at the heart of your ecommerce venture?
Taking care of yourself while also taking care of the planet is absolutely possible. The bathroom is a place where it’s easy for people to accumulate a lot of waste and plastic containers over time. Here are a few ideas for bath and beauty products to help you promote the zero-waste initiative:
Reusable makeup wipes
Very easy to make and reproduce, reusable wipes can replace the dozens of cotton pads people throw away daily.
Here’s a little tutorial with all the top tips on how to make reusable wipes.
At the risk of repeating myself, try to create quality packaging, and if possible, also with a zero-waste approach. This will highlight your commitment to sustainability and making eco-friendly products.
On trend, all you need to do is type “homemade soap” into Google to find hundreds of tutorials. Whether you want to make and sell hand soap, laundry soap, bath soap, or a different kind, you can definitely locate some handy tips online.
You can find your perfect recipe for handmade soap by testing different methods of creation.
However, note the following points with whichever route you choose:
- Make sure that you meet the required health standards to make and sell this type of item.
- Pay attention to the composition and origin of your ingredients. This is no joke when it comes to the beauty industry. As the products will be coming into direct contact with the skin, the products must be high-quality and dermatologically tested. In addition, using local or organic ingredients will help differentiate your brand and make sure you’re not overlooked.
- Beyond the aesthetics of your products, you need to carefully consider the packaging to ensure that your works of art are well protected during delivery.
Lip balm is an essential cosmetic product, used by both men and women throughout the seasons. For this reason, it’s an excellent choice if you’re looking to make money from handmade crafts.
Lip balm is super easy to make, using tools that you already have in your home. You don’t need any fancy equipment, as most simple recipes require just a basic heat source.
There are loads of blogs and tutorials online that you can use to help you in the process. They can even help to inspire the different flavors and scents that you might want to add.
As always, a few things to note before you get started:
- Make sure that your recipe and method fit within local regulations for production.
- Invest in your ingredients; fresh, organic, and high-quality ingredients will increase the value of both your products and your brand.
- Understand the various labeling laws for what you should/must have on your label when you want to sell this type of product.
With just a few materials, a passion for sewing, and a good imagination, you’d be well equipped to start making bow ties!
Once a long-lost accessory, the bow tie is making a comeback!
Quick to assemble (once you’ve got the technique down), the bow tie has once again become a chic, personal, and creative gift idea.
The bow tie can be a form of expression in the fashion world. Use a variety of motifs and designs to help your clients create their own style with these easy-to-make crafts.
From candy to cookies and jams, there’s a wide range of options if you want to whip up something sweet and delicious for your customers!
There are more regulations and guidelines that you’ll need to follow when venturing into edible goods. However, there’s lots of room to get creative and share your recipes with the world.
Find your niche: occasions, celebrations, novelty, mass catering, pet treats…the world is your oyster!
Be sure to consider the following:
- Incorporate top-quality ingredients—trace your supply chain to guarantee that the ingredients are listed correctly.
- See if your facility or home meets the food safety standards.
- Consult with your local food inspection agency to determine that your labeling complies with all the necessary requirements. This is especially important when it comes to allergies.
Who doesn’t hate water or coffee rings on their table? It’s definitely not a great look.
These days, people use coasters as a way to accessorize their living spaces or bedrooms. This also helps to add that little bit of extra color or design to what would otherwise be a boring household object.
Coasters are super easy to make, and your imagination can take you anywhere!
You can make them out of a whole host of different materials, from wood and felt to wine corks and pompoms. Many of these items you may already have lying around the house! Take a look at the article here for inspiration on the different kinds of coasters you can create.
Due to COVID-19, when we leave the house now, we need to remember to take more than just our keys, wallets, and phones. We also need to make sure that we’ve got a mask on hand.
Continuing with the idea of zero waste, why not consider making fashionable and interesting masks for people to wear? These masks are washable and reusable, rather than one-off surgical masks.
Depending on the location, many people are still required to wear masks in most covered places and even sometimes when they’re outside. For this reason, people are willing to invest in masks that coordinate with their outfits. They want something to reflect their personalities or add a bit of sparkle to their outfit.
Reusable masks are simple to make, only requiring basic sewing skills and the materials to put together. There are lots of templates available online, so make sure to do your research to see which fit your experience level. You can also follow video tutorials for further instruction.
Again, there a a few things to note:
- Make sure that you invest money in high-quality materials. If the fabric is too flimsy, the mask will not serve its one function very well.
- Think about adding additional filters to the masks.
- Provide advice on how often the masks should be washed.
Why not give customers a way to assist the planet and help protect the population, all while looking fabulous?
As we’ve seen, the DIY industry continues to grow, gaining more and more followers daily, whether they be sellers or buyers.
The competition is great, whether you’re into creating bath and beauty products, sweet and savory goods, or decor items.
However, once you’ve found your position in the market by selling the right products to the right audiences, your ecommerce adventure can begin!